Car seats are bulky to travel with and, unless you're packing a budget-friendly travel car seat, they’re an expensive piece of equipment.
Nothing will make your car seat “easy” to travel with but a car seat travel bag can make it less awkward while also protecting your investment from dings and dirt.
We ventured down the research rabbit hole to find 10 of the best car seat travel bags around.
In a hurry? I get it. Go ahead and skip straight to the best car seat travel bag in the world (according to X parents): J.L. Childress Ultimate Backpack Padded Car Seat Travel
- Do You Really Need a Car Seat Travel Bag?
- How to Choose a Car Seat Travel Bag
- The Top 10 “Best Car Seat Travel Bags”
- #1 J.L. Childress Ultimate Backpack Padded Car Seat Travel Bag
- #2 ZOHZO Car Seat Travel Bag
- #3 VolkGo Car Seat Travel Bag w/Bonus e-Book
- #4 RogueKidz Car Seat Travel Bag
- #5 Birdee Car Seat Travel Bag
- #6 Bububee Car Seat Travel Bag System
- #7 Bubbite Car Seat Travel Bag
- #8 Britax Car Seat Travel Bag
- #9 Jeep Car Seat Travel Bag
- #10 KangoKids Car Seat Travel Bag
Do You Really Need a Car Seat Travel Bag?
If you’re traveling with a car seat (obviously, road trips don’t count), a car seat travel bag will help you:
- Navigate the airport without having a nervous breakdown. Strapping a car seat onto your back will leave your hands free to maneuver your luggage, travel documents, and your kids.
- Keep your car seat clean. Nobody wants airport grime all over their baby’s car seat.
- Protect your car seat from damage. Baggage handlers aren’t usually known for their “gentle touch”.
- Stash extra stuff. Think of how much more you could fit in your suitcase if it wasn’t filled with diapers, blankets, towels, etc. Your car seat counts as a baby item, it flies free of charge — boom!
How to Choose a Car Seat Travel Bag
Choosing a car seat travel bag isn’t brain surgery, but knowing what to look for doesn’t hurt either:
Are the straps adjustable? Padded for comfort? How about a carry handle?
The level of protection a car seat travel bag offers can vary dramatically from bag to bag. While some only protect from light spills and scrapes, others are padded to help lessen the impact of knocks and bumps.
Since these bags are designed to hold some bulky, heavycargo, the seams, handles, straps, and fabric should be sturdy.
We compared prices so you don’t end up paying more than you have to.
Got a grip on the basics? Great. Check out my favorite car seat travel bags.
The Top 10 “Best Car Seat Travel Bags”
This option delivers many of the same features as #1, including protective padding, backpack straps, and a weather-resistant construction. It has extras like feet to keep the bottom of the bag off the floor and a waist strap for carrying confidence. It isn’t quite as sturdy as our first pick.
Clocking in at nearly half the price of our top two picks, this car seat travel bag delivers some sweet savings and many of the same convenience features. The bag itself isn't padded, though, and it doesn't have feet.
Sturdy construction, multiple carrying options, and extra large dimensions, this car seat travel bag is a cut above similar designs. While fairly basic, the quality and features are impressive.
This car seat travel bag might be simple, but it's also strong and water-resistant, thanks to a rugged 1680D ballistic nylon construction and reinforced stitching.
Designed by a mom of three and a former airline employee, this option costs a few dollars more than most similar bags, but it does feature a neoprene base for a bit of extra protection and it looks pretty neat too.
|Portability:||(4.0 / 5)|
|Function:||(4.0 / 5)|
|Safety:||(4.0 / 5)|
|Style:||(4.0 / 5)|
|Price:||(4.5 / 5)|
|Average:||(4.1 / 5)|
This car seat travel bag and #5 have a similar construction. Made of 1680D ballistic nylon with a double layered top flap and base, it delivers protection from wetness and scratches. It also costs less and comes in gender-neutral black. The stitching doesn't seem to be as rugged as the fabric.
Carry handles, padded backpack straps, and wheels lend this bag some serious appeal. But while it's fabulous in theory, the actual performance is lacklustre.
Not the sturdiest bag around, nor the easiest to carry, but it is spacious. It’s also affordable and comes with a pocket for extras. If you want a budget-friendly car seat travel bag that zips closed, this option is worth a shot.
This travel bag is simple, to the extent that it's feature set was lacking. If you're after a straightforward design, it’ll do the trick.
There you go — 10 great car seat travel bags that will help keep both your back and your car seat intact.